Saturday, July 10

The Captain Dun Deal: Interview

 
Hello world, Dun Deal - R.N.O. Captain - is a young, talented Dominican but American raised hip hop artist, who was born in Queens, New York but raised in Boston, Mass. He stepped in repping his team Black Flag R.N.O. and he plans on coming out the same way. R.N.O. stands for Real Niggaz Only, which is not only his music group but his family, his movement, his lifestyle, the reason why he does what he does. He started writing at the age of 12 but didn't hit the lab until he was 15. Now he's mastered what it takes to make that realistic, day to day, real life music at the age of 23. His music is as close to "spit what you live" as it's going to get. One thing about Dun Deal and his music, he works hard on making and creating songs for every mood possible. For him, that is always a plus and is something he is really big on.

Black Flag R.N.O. was originated roughly back in 2003-2004. All band members grew up around each other, and been running around together since they were all little kids before the great music, which makes them considered each other family. Like P-89 said in one his upcoming songs "A circle should never brake, it just gets tighter" and that's what they strive on to keep the family circle close and tight and allow no interferance from outsiders. KNOWIMTALKINGBOUT!!!

Right now in this day, Dun Deal is working on his third group project, R.N.O. Vol. 2, with help from his fellow comrades P-89 and Young Rick. Along with other R.N.O. members such as Big O, Dan Rothstein, and In4redd, who have roles in the upcoming project. But it doesn't stop there, DunDeal is also putting together his solo project Captain Status, in addition to P-89's Grind Time and Young Ricks Breaking N Entering - which all Black Flag R.N.O. supporters are heavily anticipating. So the group is constantly working whether it's on group or solo projects.
 DMO: How did you establish yourself in R.N.O.?

Well when we started off as Black Flag - it was myself, Young Rick, and P-89 but then there was so many other niggaz screaming it. We decided it was gonna be Black Flag R.N.O. - which came from our very first mixtape named Real Niggaz Only Vol.1. From there it's been a lifestyle ever since, a movement. And I feel like I brought the group together, not taking any credit from anyone else, it's just the way I feel. I see it like this - we a team full of super stars and I'm The Captain and every team has a captain.

DMO: What are the qualities that distinguished R.N.O. from others?

For starters, we all have a different sound. P -89, Young Rick and myself are very diverse - it's like we're all individual groups. We've known each other on a personal level for so long now that's it's only right we deliver that raw, uncut, reality music.

DMO: Where do you find the most inspiration for your lyrics?

I find inspiration when I sit back and think about some of the wild shit I been through or something hectic one of my niggaz is going through; or thinking about my close ones that I've lost that use to love my music. Telling me to keep going with it no matter what such as my two main guys Sam Goody and Gee (R.I.P.). Also listening to one of my favorite rappers song that happen to just hit me for a certain reason.

DMO: Outside of R.N.O., who have you collabed with?

Aww man outside of my camp - I've done songs with Duce Banga, Boss Young'n, T.I.T.O, Big Mike, L-Eazy, HoodRich, Cream, Sin The Boss, Peter Beatz. We did a song with the big homie Bully from D-Block and the list goes on and it's only gonna keep going.

DMO: From the mix tapes that you've done, which song is your favorite?

Hmm... this is a tough one! I'm going to have to say the song called "R.N.O." because I feel like that was the group anthem. Not to mention it had myspace going crazy - and of course all 3 verses were bonkers.

DMO:  Which era of hip hop do you favor?

I'm a '86 baby so I'll say mid to late 90's going into the new millennium. That's where I learned everything, all the basics and so on.

DMO: What is/are the first thought(s) in your mind when you wake up?

The first thoughts in my mind when I wake up is money, music and family. I feel those are the most important factors in my life, therefore I think about making them better everytime I wake up.

DMO: What are you working on at the moment?

Right now, I'm focused on the group project R.N.O. Vol.2. P-89, Young Rick and myself are all working on solo projects as well.

DMO: Who do you admire and why?

I admire my pops n my moms for giving me what I needed and setting me straight when I needed to be. Also I admire my R.N.O. family - that's my inspiration. Along with my main guy GOODY who's not here with us anymore god bless his soul. I do this for the homies that wanted to see me do this but can't cuz they not here... In the physical form that is.

DMO: Ten years do you believe that Hip Hop will become stronger?

Of course hip hop will become stronger, the closer R.N.O. gets to the game the stronger the game will get. We are a breath of fresh air. The rap game is looking ugly and we here to give it that make over.

 

"Shut Up & Listen" along with P-89

For More On Dun Deal & R.N.O., Visit: