Thursday, July 8

Sikai : The Interview !

Connecticut based rapper & song writer Sikai brings his own world and words to life with charisma and originality; whether “heart-felt” or “have-fun” music he has become the go-to guy. Standing at just 5′7″ on stage, there is a plan to become a giant in the hip-hop community. Recording since the tender age of eleven years old, Sikai has shown much growth on every project since, and although very much independent has gained a natural following and initial fan base with a promise of more listeners to come.

Opening up for acts such as Serani, J. Cole, and Jim Jones allows the dream to meet reality. Sikai has also received radio play on New York’s very own Power 105.1, one of the biggest radio stations in the tri-state area to date. An appearance that then landed him a spot on a Power 105.1 mixtape released this year entitled “The New NY” hosted by Power 105.1’s own DJ Suss One and Jovann The Last Don. Sikai has since performed at many different college events, local, and out of town venues with hopes to generate a household name in the future. His versatile rapping and writing style makes him hard to compare and much harder to ignore.
DMO: How did the name Sikai come about?

Sikai: (LOL) It's funny because the name Sikai actually came about when i first started letting my music be heard publicly. I had tried a few artistic names before it but none that were actually good or any that I would want to mention today (LOL). But back then it was basically if you did Hip-Hop music you were either sick meaning good or wack meaning bad, so as I let some of my raps and records surface to some of my closest friends they began calling me Sick Ky. My first name is Kyrey so friends and family would call me Ky for short. And from Sick Ky came Sikai and it just worked for me.

DMO: What is your greatest accomplishment so far?

Sikai: Hmmm..I've done a lot, but I always know there's so much more that I'm aiming for and that there's such a long way to go in an industry like this. I would say my greatest accomplishment is just being able to have a solid fan base and support behind me from the people I work with and my family of course. That's what actually keeps me focus because you often times get discouraged when you're not where you want to be in your career or in life....But I take the opportunities given to me and just try to benefit from them and that way it's possible to open up for names like J. Cole, Red Cafe, Jim Jones, or people who you look up to because of the music they make or position they hold in such a difficult game. I've been blessed with those opportunities and I'll continue to keep pressing on.

DMO: How was your experience doing the college tour?

Sikai: The tour was great. I actually never got to experience college life before the tour because I didn't choose that route after high school to attend college. I took up a trade, which of course involved music and wanting to learn more of the business side of the entertainment, but when you're actually away from home on a campus somewhere it's pretty cool. I got to experience the college party nights. Some of those places get wild, but It was basically just kids trying to have a good time and enjoy their time away at school. Most importantly was the fact that they appreciate music a lot more. College kids give the most support in my opinion. It seems like music helps them to get through the college experience when they can relate to the content. You make a song about being broke and being unable to pay back student loans they'll relate to that (LOL). If you decide you want to make a song about partying, smoking, and drinking they'll relate to that too. It gave me an understanding of how much music can influence people who have no wish to make music at all. It helps people who just love to listen get through their day.

DMO: Knowing that you travel a lot, where do you believe you have developed the most fans?

Sikai: I have to say Connecticut. It's my home state so it makes sense (LOL). I travel a lot, but I'm still around CT quite a bit. There are so many places that show love and support though. I was out in Massachusetts and they were very supportive out there as well New York and Rhode Island, but I just need more of a presence I believe, especially on the internet. I'm still working hard to gain more fans and hopefully become a household name one day. People have to see you doing things out of the ordinary to believe in the music sometimes. I like to believe the music is enough to draw them in, but promotion is key and having a team behind you for help. These labels like to see that you have established yourself with fans before they even work with you. There's too much money to lose if you don't have a strong enough following for your project to sell.

DMO: Now that fans have heard Gooney Tunes 1, what can we expect on Gooney Tunes 2, and who will be collaborating with?

Sikai: Gooney Tunes 2 will be out late in the year. I put that series on hold to release some other projects in the mean time. I liked Gooney Tunes, but it was more of a street mixtape and I wanted to put out some music that says a bit more about me as a person and an artist. Don't get me wrong its a great project. Wiz Khailfa and his team co-signed it, and me being a fan of his work that really meant a lot to me when i got the chance to meet him. I'll be back with DJ Rated R once I'm finished recording for volume 2. You can expect that street edge back into Sikai's music once Gooney Tunes 2 is out, but of course never shying away from the artist that I am. I like to experiment with different sounds because I am very diverse. I'm not a street artist I'm just an artist. My next project will be called "The Shoulda Been An Album Mixtape". The music is a full 360 from Gooney Tunes and it is album standard. I'm just showing people that I'm not a mixtape artist, but when you have no budget yo have to start somewhere until you can get to where you want to be.

DMO: Besides talent, what emotions have you put into your work?

Sikai: I've literally put everything into my music. All of my time and energy goes into this, and it's beautiful when you start actually seeing positive results. You know that it wasn't just for nothing. The term blood sweat and tears would sound like a walk in the park compared to what I've been through to get to just where I am today. It takes a lot more, but my heart is in it so I could never walk away from it. Music has been the most constant thing in my life. There have always been people that just walk in and out on me as they please. I've been experiencing that my whole life so when there's no one to talk to I'll grab the notepad and just start jotting. Everything that I go through or that I see will literally become a song. That's just how I am. I take note of everything and make sure that I put it out from my point of view. This game is very emotional because it's not really based on talent so much anymore. I will never knock another artist and say that they don't deserve the success they've obtained because it's hard work to make that happen. You deserve every fan you get.

DMO: When will there be a music video?

Sikai: Very Soon. It's in the works and it's been a long time coming. There will be a few to be honest.

DMO: As a Connecticut rapper, do you find it more difficult to establish yourself?

Sikai: I do because we've been overlooked. The thing that makes it so difficult is the lack of support that CT actually gives to itself. We've just been able to start making moves and I think the future for CT looks very promising, but we have to make sure that we're calling the shots, and not these other people who come from other places telling us what's hot and what's not. Every place has their own type of music that they consider hot whether or not any other place agrees with them like Oakland, California with hyphy music and Atlanta, Georgia with their new futuristic sound they've created. They make it hot for themselves and they back it with the support of their town and/or state. Eventually other places can't ignore that music any longer and have to listen. That's all CT needs to do and we can make it. We don't need to wait for any other place to tell us what's hot. We just need to know for ourselves and stand behind it.

DMO: What keeps you going? 

Sikai: My family. I do music for me because it helps me relate to people and vent in my own way, but I also keep family in mind to get them to a better situation. I've been working since I was 9 years old cleaning up in a barbershop for $30 a week until I was 16 and able to officially work. I know what it's like to work hard and coming from a single parent household where it was just my mother there I know what it's like to struggle. You dream of being able to take your family away from that. I always just wanted my family to be happy and I work hard consistently so that I can make that a reality for them. If music is the ticket then I wouldn't want it any other way. I would be succeeding with two things that I love.

DMO: What is something the fans have yet to know about Sikai?

Sikai: (LOL) That I'm very silly. I'm serious when it comes to music and the business, but I like to laugh. I'm always joking and to be honest you may not know when I'm serious or not anymore after dealing with me for a period of time. I get that a lot from the people I work with. They don't know what to think when I say certain things (LOL). We have a ball on the road though when we're driving for hours to different shows. We all like to laugh after dealing with so much of the business end so it's good to laugh a little bit. I'm forever serious about music though and you can't take that from me. I've been dedicated for years.

Make sure you follow me on twitter @SikaiMusic, and also become a Sikai fan on facebook. Log onto SikaiMusic.com and just listen to the music and show your love and support or message me with whatever criticism you may have. I appreciate it all.

 

Sikai at Northeastern Univ. - Where We First Met Him..