Thursday, July 15

Eliza Ray : The Interview

Statuesque and enticing... Eliza Ray carved her own way from simple beginnings in Santa Cruz, CA to her current successes as a model and student in Boston, MA. Her professional modeling experiences range from bridal shows for David's Bridal and Jean Henson to an all-star cast of Boston-based designers like Venni Caprice, Marnya by Avari Thomas, Ynez by Inez Antigua, Zeiri Lantigua, and Julissa Castillo. Eliza's rich portfolio includes work with Rhode Island based Illwear Fashions and New York's own Emma LaRose.

Ms. Ray earned her Associates Degree in Medical Assistance from Heald College in Milpitas, CA and moved to Boston to further her education in Nursing. Eliza's modeling career helps to finance that aspiration. Blessed with versatility, intelligence and warmth, Ms. Ray lights up a camera lens. She has worked with Richard Bertone, Justin Mayotte, David Blackwood, and Jillian Rollins of the Hallmark Institute of Photography; all of whom will attribute to her pleasantry and ease of collaboration, some
DMO: What is modeling for you - a dream, passion or job?

Modeling for me had began as a dream of mine. My parents placed the modeling bug in me when I was only 3 yrs old when I did my first photo shoot. I just remember having so much fun dressing up and having my makeup done. I always liked pretend, so it made it easy for me to get into character. Modeling for me became a passion when I was 19 years old. After running into different scams and such, I almost wanted to throw in the towel, but I couldn't get rid of that feeling that I wanted to continue modeling. I study different looks and styles of modeling by taking different images that I've seen, either on the net or in magazines. Tear them out or save them and then study them. It's something that has never lost my interest or attention.

DMO: Do you feel that Eliza Ray embodies you as a person or is it an alter ego?

Eliza Ray embodies the stronger side of me, that is never willing to give up without a fight. She's what is projected out to the viewer in any of my photos. When I do a photo shoot, that's just me doing what I love and working it. But when someone sees the actual photo, they don't see me they see Eliza Ray, in their face. She's undeniable, you can't ignore her, and she will not go unnoticed. Eliza Ray embodies my passion for modeling as an art form.

DMO: In what categories, do you fall as a model? (high fashion, commercial, etc.)

I believe that the direction that I have been going has been more high fashion, especially with the work I have to show from my portfolio. But being a model I think that it is also important to be versatile enough to be able to work all avenues of the industry to be successful. Commercial shots are definitely something I want to get into a bit more. 

DMO: As a model, what is your sense of style?

Being a model, you always have to walk outside and be prepared for anything looking your best. The only way to look your best is to know what your best assets are and what outfits to wear in order to show them off. Feeling comfortable in what you have on is always an important thing as well. For myself, I know that my legs are my best assets. So I usually wear clothing that is nicely fitted or show them off like shorts, skirts, dresses, or leggings and usually something basic up top like a fitted blouse. I love experimenting with accessories as well, because you can easily switch up a look with a different set of accessories. Like I said, I love dress up! So place me in a closet full of clothes and accessories and leave me there, come back in 3hrs and I will still be mixing and matching!

DMO: Photo shoot or runway, which one do you prefer and why?

Hmmm, good question.
I prefer photo shoots only because I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment once you get to see the finished product. Or even just seeing the raw photos, and I think to myself "Oooo yeah! That's a hot photo!" I get so excited, like a little kid, I can't wait to see the finished work. It's a pretty rewarding feeling.

Runway is where I get instant gratification. I am a huge fan of music and dancing. So I appreciate the merge of modeling and music. I always get that adrenalin rush right before I go out on the runway. Working my hips to the beat of the music, just owning the stage. It's a fun rush, but often too short lived for me to really enjoy, unless it was a 50ft runway. Now that's something I know I'd thoroughly enjoy! 

DMO: Are you ever nervous before a show? Why / Why not?

I never get "scared" nervous. I remember my first show I did for David's Bridal in California. I was so focused on remembering the turns and poses that I completely forgot about my face and the photos came out awful. I've gotten better over the years and those nervous jittery feelings don't exist now.  Now I receive more of an amped feeling, because I'm so anxious to get out there and strut my stuff. What can I say, I'm a Leo and I feed off of the attention!

DMO: In your words, what defines a model?

A model is someone, who is versatile first and foremost. Starting as a blank canvas that can mold herself into a vision of art. Exuding confidence, strength, vulnerability, true inner beauty, weakness and so forth when necessary. Positivity is key! I find it that being positive is the best way to get through any difficult situation, and many people request to work with me again because of it! I am glad to be known as good to get along with rather than a pre-madonna. Respect is a great part in the game of networking.

DMO: What do you consider more important in modeling, internal or external beauty?

Not to be cliche, but internal beauty is the key. I believe whole heartedly that if a person has a bad personality, then it will reflect negatively through their photos as well. If you don't have a beautiful personality, then you're missing out on your full potential. It's important to stay confident in your self and positive in order to succeed in this business. Otherwise, you'll allow anything to take you down, and with a lot of people it can be their ego.  

DMO: If you could, are there things you would like to eliminate from the modeling industry?

Eliminate? There's always pros and cons to the business. But no, I have no problem taking the good with the bad. I've learned to just take every opportunity as is comes. Flip it into a positive encounter and then let whatever negativity roll right off of me. Dust! I don't let the little things get in my way. I'm burning way too bright to let anything dim my light!


For More On Eliza Ray, Visit: